Saturday, September 15, 2012
Email

Grease fire causes $90,000 damage at Roanoke County home

Firefighters in Cave Spring responded to an early morning house fire Friday, the second in the same neighborhood in as many days.

Roanoke County Fire Marshal Gary Huffman said crews were called at 1:34 a.m. to extinguish a grease fire in the 5500 block of Cynthia Drive, one that started on a stove top, then spread to a sunroom.

"Grease fires do tend to spread pretty quickly," Huffman said.

As firefighters arrived, flames were crawling out of the single-story, ranch-style house from several rear windows, Huffman said.

The fire caused more than $90,000 in damage and displaced a family of seven, three generations living under one roof. None of the residents — five adults and two children — was injured, though a talking parrot named Jolly did perish, he said.

One of the residents, who was awake at the time the fire ignited, said they heard loud popping noises in the kitchen.

Another one of the residents, who already suffered from breathing complications, was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital as a precaution, Huffman said. She was later released.

The fire marshal said Cave Spring, Back Creek and Fort Lewis volunteer fire departments worked the scene until about 3:30 a.m.

A spokeswoman for the American Red Cross, Amy Whittaker, said her organization is assisting the family.

Weather Journal

News tips, photos and feedback?
Sign up for free daily news by email
BUY A PHOTO
[BROWSE PHOTOS]