Monday, March 21, 2005
Vick returns to field Wednesday
Posted 3:33 p.m.
Virginia Tech stories
- Hokies start fresh at offense
- Hokies' athletic director requested 'night off'
- Virginia Tech fans need new tailgate tradition
Blog: Andy Bitter
- Recapping the Hokies’ spring: Specialists
- Recapping the Hokies’ spring: Defensive backs
- It’s graduation day for several Hokies football players
- Join the Hokie football conversation on Andy's blog
Twitter: Andy Bitter
Virginia Tech football coach Frank Beamer said that junior Marcus Vick will enter Wednesday's start of spring practice as the Hokies' No. 3 quarterback behind sophomore Sean Glennon and redshirt freshman Cory Holt.
Vick, younger brother of Tech icon and NFL superstar Michael Vick, missed last season when he was suspended from the university for a series of off-the-field problems.
“We've got [Vick] in the third position,” Beamer said Monday. “I think you've got to have a starting point and I think it's important that everything is right in that regard.
“I think they need to battle it out here in the spring and see where it ends up,” Beamer said Monday. “I would like to come out of spring practice with who we think is going to be [the No. 1 QB] in the fall.
“We do have a couple of talented true freshmen quarterbacks coming in here and I think they could affect the situation, too,” added Beamer, referring to recent signees Greg Boone of Chesapeake, Va., and Ike Whitaker of Germantown, Md.
The Hokies will conduct 14 workouts over the next three weeks before the practice period concludes with the Apr. 16 spring game at Lane Stadium (2 p.m.)