Thursday, July 23, 2009
Tech gets commitment from wide receiver
Virginia Tech stories
- Hokies start fresh at offense
- Hokies' athletic director requested 'night off'
- Virginia Tech fans need new tailgate tradition
Blog: Andy Bitter
- A Saturday on the couch: My college football viewing guide
- New VT president on athletics: ‘It inspires everybody’
- Episode 15 of the Hokies Press Pass podcast
- Join the Hokie football conversation on Andy's blog
Twitter: Andy Bitter
E.L. Smiling, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound wide receiver from Brooke Point High School in Stafford, has become the 16th football prospect to commit to Virginia Tech for 2010.
Smiling had 27 receptions as a junior but is being “counted on” as more of a featured player this coming season, Brooke Point coach Jeff Berry said Wednesday.
Smiling is the third player to commit to Tech after attending a recent one-day camp, although he was offered by the Hokies during the winter. Berry said it was the only offer Smiling had received to date.
“I wouldn’t use the word 'raw’ to describe him,” Berry said. “But, the best thing he’s got going for him is his upside.”
Berry does not have an official 40-yard time for Smiling but said he has “legit 4.5 speed.” He will join former Brooke Point teammate Lanford Collins, who signed with Tech in January.